How to assess your own work
After you try one of the sample writing questions, ask yourself a few simple questions about your work:
· TASK 1: HAVE I DONE WHAT THE QUESTION ASKED ME TO DO?
· TASK 2: DID I ANSWER THE QUESTION?
· Have I given a clear overview?
· TASK 1: Have I given data to support my points?
· TASK 2: Have I given examples to support my points?
· Have I presented some good ideas and points of view which are relevant to the task?
· Is the information clear?
· Is my information well organised?
· Are my points of view clear?
· Is my text communicating its content effectively to the reader?
Coherence and Cohesion
· Is the text well organised?
· Are my points in a logical order?
· Have I used paragraphs effectively? Does each paragraph have a clear theme? (To practice this try summarising each paragraph in a sentence)
· Are my sentences linked by appropriate joining words (e.g. Consequently, After that, However, Therefore, Moreover, Thereby, As such, In conclusion, Additionally)?
· Are the sentences in my text well connected?
· Have I used substitution and referencing accurately?
Grammer Range and Accuracy
· Have I written accurate grammatical sentences?
· Have I used accurate and varied sentence constructions, not just simple sentences?
· Is my grammar varied? Have I used similar sentence structures throughout? (This particularly important in Task 1, where you less room to show your range)
· Have I tried to show I can use sentences with more than one clause? Conditional clauses? Presnt, past and future tenses accurately?
· Have I used a good range of appropriate vocabulary?
· Is my spelling accurate?
· Is my text clear?
· I did use certain vocabulary too much when I could use different words?