Writing the main body
· The main body of your text should be around 3-4 paragraphs
· You can roughly divide these paragraphs between:
o General picture of the information – what is most striking, important, significant or remarkable – “Perhaps the most remarkable element of the diagram is massive increase in sales of laptops over the past 15 years and the relative decline in desktops”
o Similarities between data – “in general, the population of all the countries represented rose, with the exception of only two countries, namely France and Equador”.
o Main differences between the data – “In striking contrast to the overall trend, the proportion of water resources utilized in the domestic sector shrank dramatically as a proportion of total water usage”.
o Overall trends
· Remember to give specific information to support what you are saying – “The total number of students engaged in higher education in Spain in the 1990s was by far the lowest of the countries surveyed, reaching a maximum of only 26 percent in 1996.”
· Become familiar using vocabulary like:
o Climb, go up, jump, leap, increase, skyrocket, surge, pick up, soar.
o Decline, fall, descend, decrease, plunge, drop, dive, slide.
o Fluctuate, erratic, rising and falling, vary.
o Flat, remains stable, is unchanged.
· Additional useful adverbs include:
o Dramatically, erratically, substantially, incrementally, slightly, steadily, markedly.
· Add specific information to support your report:
o The population rose from… to…
o Between… and… there was a rise of X percent from… to…
o In the year of…
o During the period in question…
o Over the course of the decade…
o In the latter half of the 20th Century…